It is often said a picture is worth a thousand words. The goal then would be to make those words good ones! I have photographed every body type big and small and I can tell you, any girl in a strapless gown is going to have back bulge, even if they are rail thin. The key is not to stress about the things you cannot control. Us photogs can take care of things like that in Photoshop. However, there are a few tips and tricks you will want to remember whenever you get your photo taken. Here are five of my favorites.
1. Never, and I mean NEVER stand in front of your man. If you are in front of him, make sure the camera is to the side so your faces are on the same plane to the camera lens. I like to put the ladies just slightly behind the man. If you are even 1/4 inch in front of him you will look bigger than he does. Not good.
2. Giggle. Every time someone takes your photo, giggle a little bit. Even if it is fake. Just by making a noise your brain will trigger your laugh muscles in your face and not your smile muscles. They are a completely different set of muscles and I guarantee you like your laugh muscles better than you smile muscles.
3. Try to look up. If you can make it so the photographer is above you (sit on a chair) you are less likely to have a double chin. Even the skinny ninnies get double chins when the photographer is below you.
4. Know where your light is. Always face towards the light. If you are outside don’t face into the shade, face into the light. You will look better every time.
5. My absolute best advice is to have fun and smile a lot! Photographers love people who smile and laugh. If you see, out of the corner of your eye, a lens trained on you just smile for a bit. The photographer will take the photo and leave you alone. I promise.
Enjoy your day and soak it all in. The more “into” your day you are the better your photos will come out. Leave the stress behind. Remember, on your wedding day there is nothing more to be done. Just let it go, and enjoy!
Below are some of my favorites from my very first courthouse wedding on April 1, 2010, and I got to be the witness! LOVE IT! It was at the Beverly Hills Courthouse and we walked the streets for some fun photos around the area after the ceremony. See how I always try to keep my couples on the same plane to me or I will put the bride slightly behind the groom. Lots of love between these two! Who says you can’t elope AND get great shots!
Copyright © 2010 by Jen O’Sullivan http://www.jenosullivan.com
Beverly Hills Wedding Photographer, Jen O’Sullivan is a boutique wedding photographer who specializes in portrait journalism.
Jen O’Sullivan Boutique Wedding Photography | 357 South Robertson Boulevard, Beverly Hills, California, 90211 | 310-494-6547