Today I taught a class on Senior High School Portrait Sessions. We headed over to Mentryville in the South Western area of Stevenson Ranch. It is a fun location with lots of great textures. The tips of the day:
- Try not to shoot with two different exposures in your frame such as shade for the subject with a brightly lit background.
- Keep your focus always on the eyes.
- Frame your subject with other objects.
- KNOW your light source. Where is it coming from? Look for the largest specular highlight in their eyes.
- Never shoot with dappled light on the face.
- Try using the sun to flare your images: 1970’s style.
- Always fix things in the shot that you can rather than say you will “Photoshop” it later. Save yourself the time. (especially stray hairs.)
- It is okay to direct your model and show they how to pose.
- Look for interesting angles that their bodies can make.
- If your model knows how to use their body, let them. Often what is comfortable for them, will look best in the photo.
These tips apply to Seniors, however can be applied towards any shoot. I always take a few shots while I am teaching to show different perspectives. Here are a few of my outtakes.
Copyright © 2010 by Jen O’Sullivan http://www.jenosullivan.com
Beverly Hills Wedding Photographer, Jen O’Sullivan is a boutique wedding photographer who specializes in portrait journalism.
Jen O’Sullivan Boutique Wedding Photography | 357 South Robertson Boulevard, Beverly Hills, California, 90211 | 310-494-6547