By Dr. Jen O’Sullivan
Did you know water is one of the most important elements for foundational health?
- It oxygenates and detoxes your cells.
- Water makes up 60% of your body and 70% of your brain.
- It lubricates your joints.
- Drinking enough water helps your skin look younger.
- It helps your blood be less sticky (water is 90% of your blood)
- It helps your brain function faster.
- Water helps maintain blood pressure and regulates temperature.
- It flushes toxins from your body.
- It helps to make vitamins and minerals more bioavialable.
- Water helps with weight reduction.
- Water helps to protect your spinal cord.
One of the most overlooked reasons to drink more water is dementia. Lack of oxygen to the brain is a key factor in brain deterioration and proper hydration is necessary for the cellular oxygenation of the brain. Sadly most of our elderly are grossly dehydrated due to incontinence issues. The solution is simple: drink less more often!
How many ounce of water do you drink per day? Be honest! Most people think they are getting enough water per day, but even if you drink half your body weight in ounces, you most likely are not properly hydrated.
- Did you grow up being told 8 glasses per day is enough?
- Maybe you heard half your body weight in ounces?
- Perhaps you were told one liter per 50 pounds of body weight?
- Are you carrying around one of those 1 gallon jugs and you drink that each day but still don’t feel hydrated?
- Have you been told to wake up in the morning and down 16 ounces right away?
All of the above issues may be wrong if you are drinking more than 5 ounces at one sitting.
I was always told, and have always taught to drink half your body weight in ounces every day. Because I am super busy all the time, I usually down 16 ounces at a time every couple of hours. THIS IS COMPLETELY USELESS AND OVER ONE THIRD IS GOING RIGHT DOWN THE DRAIN!
The reality is, your body can only absorb 4-5 ounces of water every 30 minutes. Read that again.
If you seem to be on the toilet all the time it is simply because you are drinking too much at one time.
If you want to try a HYDRATION CHALLENGE, get your phone out and set a water drinking alarm to beep at you every 30 minutes. When it goes off, take THREE BIG GULPS OF WATER. That’s it.
Every 30 minutes, take three big gulps. This will ensure your cells are properly hydrated and that your body is actually utilizing all of your water intake for the day and you will be naturally getting half your body weight in ounces in per day if you use this method. If you don’t believe me, do the math. 4-5 ounces every 30 minutes during your waking hours is more than enough and you can even pull it down to one sip every 30 minutes for the 4 slots before bed. You will thank me for this one!
Drink up! Not too much, not too often, but just right!